A TEENAGER has been arrested on suspicion of theft from a car.
The 18-year-old from Southsea was held in connection with an incident in Hudson Road, Southsea, at about 2.10am today.
As part of Operation Top Gun, which is tackling vehicle crime in Portsmouth, officers are advising vehicle owners to follow these tips to help protect their vehicles and valuables:
* Don’t leave anything in your car – if it’s not there, then it can’t be stolen.
* Choose a stereo that can be removed and make sure you take it with you.
* Don’t leave even low-value items in your car. Often thieves will grab first and look later to see if what they’ve stolen is valuable.
* Don’t hide it. If you hide items under the seat or in the glove box, chances are someone will have watched you.
* If you cannot avoid leaving something in your car, put it in your boot before you begin your journey.
* Don’t leave valuables in your car even for a minute –it only takes a thief seconds to get what they want, so don’t take the chance.
* Your car isn’t safe to be left unlocked on your driveway – nearly half of all incidents where items are stolen from cars happen when they are parked overnight, close to the owner’s home.
* Don’t leave your house keys or anything with your address on it in your vehicle – someone could steal your keys and then let themselves into your home.