Man and woman arrested after Leigh Park baby suffers serious injuries

Police at Iping Avenue in Leigh Park
Police at Iping Avenue in Leigh Park

Vandal smashes car window on Hayling Island

Have your say

TWO people have been arrested after a baby boy was admitted to hospital with serious injuries.

Concerned medical staff contacted police at 3.15am yesterday after the one-year-old received injuries which left him in a serious condition.

Police forensic teams were seen taking a child’s trike, toys and other items from a house in Iping Avenue, Leigh Park, while officers made house-to-house inquiries with neighbours.

A 23-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man, believed to be the child’s mother and stepfather, have been arrested in connection with the incident.

However police have refused to reveal details of what the pair were arrested on suspicion of.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: ‘We’re so shocked at this.

‘The family keep themselves to themselves but whenever we have seen them they’ve been very pleasant.

‘They are very quiet but also come across as a happy little family.

‘We saw them on Wednesday afternoon and the mum was holding the baby.

‘He was well wrapped up in blankets. They put him in the car seat and drove off. I just hope and pray the little boy is going to be okay. We saw him recently and he had obviously just started walking. He was going along holding his mother’s hand.’

The 29-year-old man is believed to have formerly been in the Royal Navy but left several years ago. He has lived at the property for about eight years. Neighbours say the man’s partner moved in around eight months ago.

A 37-year-old mother who lives in the street said she was devastated by the news. The woman, who did not want to be named, said: ‘I really hope the baby is going to be okay. It’s awful to hear he has been injured.

‘I’ve lived down here a long time and everybody knows everybody. We are always out in the street because our children play out but in all that time we’ve never got to know the people who live there.

‘We knew there was a family there but they kept themselves to themselves and we hardly ever saw them. For a long time we actually thought the house was empty because it had newspaper up at the windows.’

In a statement Hampshire Constabulary said: ‘Officers were contacted by concerned medical staff just after 3.15am on Thursday after the boy was taken to hospital.

‘A 23-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man, both from Havant, have been arrested and are in custody.’