Man arrested after four-hour siege at Portsmouth house

A Ford Transit van

POLICE WARNING: £20 lock picks used to break into vans across Hampshire

Have your say

POLICE were involved in a four-hour stand-off with a man seen wielding a knife before making an arrest.

Eight police vehicles, an ambulance and a rapid response unit surrounded a house in Jubilee Road, Southsea yesterday following concerns over the welfare of a man inside the property.

A man is led away after the stand-off

A man is led away after the stand-off

Jubilee Road was shut to allow emergency services to respond to the incident, which saw police officers take over the road from 10.15am until just before 2pm.

Neighbours said they heard shouting from a man inside the house before seeing him with a knife in his hands.

There was also a report that a taser gun had been fired at the man but missed, prior to him being arrested and taken to hospital.

No-one else was injured.


Taser, taser! Listen to the dramatic moment the siege ended


Student Matthew Eagle, 21, said: ‘When we woke up it was all going on and there was a policeman with a gun outside my front door.’

Mr Eagle, who lives on Jubilee Road, said they had met the man when they had borrowed a ladder from him the week before.

‘He came round and helped us out,’ said Mr Eagle,

‘He seemed like a really nice bloke, so we couldn’t understand why he was doing what he was doing.’

The man was alone in the house and specially-trained police officers were called to talk to him.

Residents were not allowed out of their houses and a large cordon was set up.

Another neighbour, a 32-year-old, who did not want to be named, said: ‘I went to go out the back and there was about eight or nine police with riot shields down the alleyway.

‘They had a negotiator round and were speaking to him through the front window. They were saying “you haven’t done anything wrong”. He was just screaming for ages.’

Police are still to reveal full details of what took place.

A spokesman from South Central Ambulance Service said: ‘We were called at 10.18am to Jubilee Road. We sent a rapid response vehicle and an ambulance crew and one patient was taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital just after 2pm.’

A spokesman from Hampshire Constabulary said a 27-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of affray. Police said the man was taken to hospital to be checked over and he remained there yesterday night.

The spokesman added that firearms officers had been deployed as part of a tactical response.

Click here for more pictures from the scene