Man beats boy, 9, on head with baseball bat

Bruising on the boy's head
Bruising on the boy's head
Have your say

A NINE-year-old boy suffered concussion after he was repeatedly hit over the head with a baseball bat.

The boy’s father said his son has been left ‘petrified’ by the assault carried out by a man yards away from their house, and that he is now too scared to go to sleep.

Police and medics were called to Elsfred Road, Hill Head, after the attack.

The father said: ‘We are all so shocked by this, and my son has been left petrified.

‘I was at work when it happened but was told my son was playing with some other children.

‘They were playing on a grassy area in Elsfred Road and were building a den in the trees.

‘Then a man came to the bottom of the area with a bat and started shouting at the kids to get off the land.

‘Then he grabbed my son by the arm and told him to go, which my son wanted to do but couldn’t as he was being held.

‘Then the man hit my son around the head with a baseball bat about three times.

‘As soon as my wife called me, I left work in Waterlooville, and came home straight away.

‘When I arrived there were four police cars and an ambulance.’

The attack happened between 7.30pm and 7.45pm on Tuesday.

Hampshire police said the boy sustained mild concussion, swelling and bruising on his head.

His family, of Sanross Close, Hill Head, only moved to the area a month ago as they believed their two children would have the freedom to play outdoors.

The father added: ‘My son is petrified – he’s worried the man is going to come and get him again.

‘He’s only nine and thought the man would be put into prison, and has been crying.

‘We moved from Brockhurst Road in Gosport to be in a lovely close with other families, to give the kids the freedom of playing out.

‘This has been spoilt by one man.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed it sent one ambulance and the boy was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital with head injuries.

n A 51-year-old man from Fareham was arrested on suspicion of assault.

He was bailed until May 21, pending further enquiries.