Man found dead after failing to appear in court

Fareham Magistrates Court. Picture: Google Maps
Fareham Magistrates Court. Picture: Google Maps
Have your say

A MAN who was due to appear in court following charges of sexual offences was found dead the day of his trial, an inquest heard.

The hearing, held at Portsmouth Guildhall, revealed Colin Glancy was found by police officers on September 13 last year, hanged in his home at Worcester Close, in Southsea.

The 62-year-old had failed to appear at Fareham Magistrates’ Court so a warrant was issued.

Speaking at the inquest, Detective Constable Samantha Hockley, from Fratton CID, said Mr Glancy was charged with historical sexual offences and for possession of a small amount of cocaine.

She said: ‘Mr Glancy was charged and bailed to appear before court on September 13.

‘He failed to appear so a warrant was issued.

‘Police officers were met at his house by a friend who had not seen him for a while.

‘She had a key to his house but the door was locked from the inside.’

Detective Constable Hockley added that when they got in the officers found Mr Glancy slumped near the living room door already dead.

‘The police officers saw no signs of suspicious activities and with the front door being locked from the inside, they did not feel anyone else was involved,’ she added.

‘Upon further inspections, officers found several pictures of family weddings and family members around Mr Glancy as well as a cigarette that had burned a hole into the carpet near him.

‘There was also an empty bottle of beer.’

It was also revealed that a computer system and £100 in cash were found in his house which also contributed to the police’s view that the death was not connected to any break-in.

House-to-house enquiries revealed that no-one had seen Mr Glancy for ten days before his death.

However, on the day of his death, a police officer called Mr Glancy’s phone.

The male who answered the mobile phone claimed he was not Mr Glancy but the police officer believes it was him pretending to be someone else.

His mobile phone was seized and investigated by police. But, there was nothing from the examination that revealed information about his death.

The final report read out in the inquest was written by a pathologist.

It revealed that Mr Glancy had small amounts of therapeutic drugs in his body which were part of his medication.

The pathologist also found recreational amounts of cocaine.

However, neither the medicinal drugs or cocaine were considered contributing factors to his death.

David Horsley, head coroner for Hampshire concluded that Mr Glancy took his own life and ruled his death as suicide.

He said: ‘Mr Glancy has taken his own life in circumstances where he was facing a series of criminal charges.’