Man’s ear bitten off in attack by gang of youths

Pixies Day Nursery ENGPPP00120120611160320

Staff disgusted after nursery is trashed by raiders

Have your say

A MAN needed surgery after part of his ear was bitten off in an unprovoked attack by a gang of teenagers.

The 36-year-old victim was sat in a shelter between the lifeguard station and the Pyramids Centre in Clarence Parade, Southsea, when he was set upon in broad daylight.

Police have revealed he challenged a group of teenagers who were causing trouble after one of them threw a stone at him.

The group of girls and boys then attacked him at about 5pm on Friday.

One of the gang punched the victim and bit off the top of his left ear before running off.

He later underwent surgery to reattach the part of his ear that had been bitten off.

Det Con Dave Anderson from Portsmouth CID, who is investigating, said: ‘The victim has had surgery to sew back the piece of the ear that was bitten and is recovering at home.

‘This was an unprovoked attack. We understand one of the group had thrown a stone at the victim and he was challenging their behaviour.

‘It was a sunny afternoon and the seafront was busy at the time so I’d like to hear from anyone who was there at the time.

‘Anything you saw will be able to help us with our inquiries.’

The main offenders were two boys, both aged about 17 and 5ft 8in tall.

One has blond hair and is skinny.

The other has ginger hair and was described as having a chunky build.

The attack comes less than three weeks after part of a 22-year-old man’s ear was bitten off in a fight in Portsmouth.

The victim was walking home with his girlfriend after a night out when the attack happened in Winston Churchill Avenue at about 1.15am on March 23. The two attacks are not thought to be related.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Det Con Anderson at Fratton station on 101 or 0845 0454545 quoting crime reference number 44110146678.

Alternatively call the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.