Man tortured and humiliated by men in flat, court told

A man who spat at a woman has been jailed

Thug jailed for spitting at woman

Have your say

THREE attackers tortured a man and threatened to kill him in a ‘humiliating and degrading’ assault inflicted amid wrongful accusations he had stolen a wallet, a court heard.

Brothers Cole and Dane Perkins and James Champion are accused of subjecting the victim to two hours of abuse at Cole Perkins’ flat in the early hours.

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was allegedly kicked, stamped on, tied up with electrical cord, burnt with an iron, stripped naked and submerged in a bath with a plastic bag over his head.

Winchester Crown Court heard he was also dangled over a balcony at the second floor flat while tied up and told he would die before Champion sexually assaulted him.

Champion, 26, Cole, 27, and Dane Perkins, 26, each deny making a threat to kill, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and false imprisonment.

Champion also denies sexual assault and assault by penetration.

A 12-strong jury heard the victim needed a place to stay after an ‘unfortunate’ evening in which he had been arrested on suspicion of assault and bailed.

He had seen Perkins –­ whom he had known as an acquaintance ­– had a light on in his James Close flat in Gosport and asked to be let in.

The court heard Perkins had been taking class B mephedrone – also known as meow meow – that night.

Shortly after his arrival Perkins is said to have become agitated and accused the victim of stealing his wallet.

Dane Perkins and Champion arrived at the flat later and set upon the victim, punching and kicking him and demanding the wallet.

Adam Feest, prosecuting, described the incident as ‘tantamount to torture’, and said: ‘The prosecution say [the victim] was subjected to a serious assault at the hands of these three defendants, each playing their own role, Cole Perkins without question the lesser of the three, nevertheless still involved in the assault which took place over a period of perhaps two hours or so.’

The court heard the victim at one point thought he would die at the men’s hands.

The court heard that after being held over the balcony, he was dragged to the bathroom, dumped on the floor surrounded by pools of blood and given clothes.

Champion is then alleged to have returned to the bathroom and sexually assaulted him.

The three men then said they were going to leave, but would take the money from his wallet to pay for the ‘inconvenience’ he had caused them and the taxi they left the scene in at about 7.30am on August 31 last year.

Mr Feest said: ‘[The victim], headed off, not before the three defendants threatened him, threatened further violence to him should he go to the police and tell anybody and threatened his family, saying they knew where his family lived, saying they would not only hurt him but his family.’

The victim made it to a nearby newsagent where a worker called for an ambulance.

However the victim told a paramedic he had been assaulted by three men in Fareham town centre in the early hours. He later told a relative what had happened and eventually told police.

When a hospital medic assessed him he was found to have an abrasion on his right arm consistent with being inflicted by an iron, facial swelling, a bruised left ear and swollen nose among other injuries. When officers searched Cole Perkins’ home they found a piece of paper with the address of the victim and one of his relatives on.

A number of blood spots matching the victim’s DNA were also found, as well as electrical flex in a kitchen cupboard, the court heard.

Cole Perkins, of Grange Crescent, Gosport, Champion, of Chandos Rise, Portsmouth, and Dane Perkins, whose address was given as Winchester Prison, were later arrested and charged.