Mother who admitted drowning her twins in bath will NOT face murder trial - National

A WOMAN who admitted drowning her young twins following the breakdown of her relationship will not face trial for their murder, a court has heard.

Wednesday, 12th June 2019, 9:09 am
Jake (left) and Chloe Ford, who were drowned by their mother on Boxing Day. Picture: Steven Ford/PA Wire

Samantha Ford, 38, had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter by diminished responsibility of Jake and Chloe Ford, who were 23 months old.

But she denied murdering the children on Boxing Day last year.

Police had initially been alerted after Ford's car was in a crash with a lorry in Kent.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jake (left) and Chloe Ford, who were drowned by their mother on Boxing Day. Picture: Steven Ford/PA Wire

Officers went to her home in Castle Drive, Margate, and found the bodies of the twins on December 27 last year.

Ford later admitted she had drowned the children after the breakdown of her marriage.

At a hearing before Mr Justice Edis at the Old Bailey, the Crown accepted Ford's plea to the lesser charge.

Read More

Read More
Father’s moving poem tribute to ‘perfect' twins allegedly murdered by their moth...
Chloe Ford, one of the twins who were drowned by their mother on Boxing Day. Picture: Steven Ford/PA Wire

Prosecutor Ed Brown QC said the decision came after careful consideration of a psychiatric report.

He said: ‘We have considered all the reports and all the facts to do with this case very carefully. It is a case of great sensitivity in all respects.

‘I have taken instructions from those instructing me, and the father of the deceased children has of course been consulted in respect of this question.

‘The result of those consultations are that those pleas are to be acceptable and the Crown does not ask for a trial in respect of those two counts of murder.’

Jake Ford, one of the twins who were drowned by their mother on Boxing Day. Picture: Steven Ford/PA Wire

The defendant, who is in custody, was not required to attend the brief hearing, at which the judge ordered a further psychiatric report to examine Ford's current mental state.

Mr Justice Edis adjourned sentencing to July 26, when he will consider a disposal under the mental health act.

The senior judge accepted the prosecution's decision, saying the reasons would become ‘obvious’ at the next hearing.