MP claims dossier alleges ‘child sex abuse ring’ in Portsmouth

A motorist takes and passes a breath test during a patrol on Saturday night

Hampshire police target drink and drug drivers in Operation Holly

  • Historic abuse allegations are made in file given to minister in the 1980s
0
Have your say

AN MP has said a dossier handed to a minister in the 1980s alleges a child sex abuse ring in Portsmouth.

Speaking in Westminster Hall, John Mann MP said he had a copy of a Dickens dossier – so-called because it was given to Geoffrey Dickens MP who in turn handed it to Leon Brittan in 1984.

Mr Mann said another Dickens dossier had been lost and alleges a cover-up dating back to 1984. A Home Office review last year said the document could not be found.

Speaking of the document he has seen, Mr Mann said: ‘Information and allegations in it include allegations of sex with children, names of people alleged to be involved, and suggestions both of locations, including one precise location, and of a third party organisation that was directly involved.

‘I will not name that organisation.

‘It will all come out – there is no reason why it should not – but it would not help the police if it came out today.

‘It would be a pretty straightforward investigation for the police to look into the precise location that is in the file, but there was no investigation.’

He alleges the document contains the name of ‘manipulator’ former MI6 deputy chief George Kennedy Young.

He said it does not say Young was involved in abusing children.

Mr Mann posted on Twitter after the debate. He said: ‘The Dickens file alleges rings in London, Manchester, North Yorkshire, and Portsmouth plus in another right-wing organisation.’

Home Office junior minster Karen Bradley said the file Mr Mann had seen was being investigated by police.

She said: ‘I understand the police are reviewing the documents passed to them, and I look forward to hearing the outcome.’

In relation to the missing file, the review led by Peter Wanless, the head of the NSPCC, and Richard Whittam QC, said they ‘have not uncovered any evidence of organised attempts by the Home Office to conceal child abuse, either in specific documents retained by them or others, or through an obvious pattern of destroyed files’.

The Metropolitan Police Service has been given the file, which is not missing, Ms Bradley told MPs.

But yesterday Scotland Yard said it was not actively investigating the allegations made in the file.

Hampshire police has not received any reports.