Murder accused sent spiteful texts, jury told

Debbie Levey
Debbie Levey
Share this article
A main road has been closed off after a suspected bomb was found

COUNTY: Urgent police hunt begins after raiders steal shotguns

Have your say

THE man accused of killing his lover told the court where he is on trial: ‘I might be a lot of things, but I am not a murderer.’

Phillip Brown, in his mid 40s, denies smothering Debbie Levey at her home near Chichester on January 27, 2013.

Giving evidence at Lewes Crown Court, the Selsey driver said: ‘I loved her to bits. I couldn’t imagine spending a day without her.’

The prosecution believes Brown went to Ms Levey’s home, Cherry Tree Cottage in East Ashling, had sex with her and later smothered her with a cushion in her living room.

Brown says he went to the house at her invitation, adding they hoped to start a ‘covert relationship’, but no-one was home and he waited outside for five hours without going inside, eventually driving away.

Ms Levey was discovered by a colleague on Monday, January 28, 2013. She was a care manager at the Leaholme care home, in Gilmore Road, Chichester.

‘I didn’t go into that property at all. I didn’t see her at all that day. I didn’t suffocate her at all,’ said Brown.

Brown has admitted sending the woman he wanted to marry numerous abusive and hurtful messages, at one point saying he hoped she died on the operating table when she had a hysterectomy.

Prosecuting, Mark Dennis QC said to Brown one of his messages was ‘petulant, nasty and spiteful’.

DNA evidence found in the home and on Ms Levey’s body matched Brown’s profile.

He claims not to have been to Cherry Tree Cottage for several weeks beforehand after they broke up in November, 2012, and not to have seen Ms Levey since the previous Thursday, January 24.

Between November 5, 2012, when they split up and January 28, 2013, 1,087 text messages were sent between the pair.

Even though she had broken up with him, Mr Dennis said Ms Levey was ‘vulnerable’ and because of her insecurities still used to text Brown.

‘Numerous messages from March through to January show a very needy person who during stages when the relationship is off is still communicating with you,’ he said.

Mr Dennis claimed there was ‘another side’ to Brown’s character, describing it as a ‘green-eyed jealousy’ that overtook him and led him to send the messages, including one trying to get her fired from her job.

He said it was this same ‘two-faced’ character which might have seen Brown turn on Ms Levey the night she died. Brown denied this.

‘There’s not another side of me. There’s just me. There’s one side. That’s it.’

The trial continues at Lewes Crown Court on Monday, January 27, and the jury is due to consider a verdict next week.