Officer tells of bid to save stabbing victim

A police crime team attends the scene in Dove Close, Wecock Farm and, inset, Mr Warton
A police crime team attends the scene in Dove Close, Wecock Farm and, inset, Mr Warton

Flurry of suspected fraudsters targeting residents in Gosport

Have your say

ONE of the first police officers on the scene after Simon Warton was fatally stabbed has told how he tried to save him.

PC Tim Durham was on patrol at 5.30am when he was called to a report of a fight.

Simon Warton

Simon Warton

Sean Bailey is accused of killing the 27-year-old after a row at a party in a house in Curlew Gardens, Wecock.

Giving evidence at Bailey’s trial at Winchester Crown Court, PC Durham said he tried CPR on the victim until paramedics arrived but there was no sign of him breathing.

‘There was a lot of blood, mostly soaked into the clothing,’ he said.

The officer told the jury there were four people standing over dad-of-one Mr Warton and one of them, Mr Warton’s friend Bradley Woodacre, was shouting.

‘He was very angry and upset,’ he said.

‘He was shouting and swearing very angrily.’

Asked by prosecutor Miranda Moore whether Mr Woodacre told him who had stabbed Mr Warton, PC Durham said: ‘Yes, Sean Bailey.’

The court has heard Bailey was a ‘jealous, unpleasant, hothead’ on the night of the attack.

It is alleged the 28-year-old lost his temper and beat up his 16-year-old girlfriend, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

The crown say he armed himself with four knives from the kitchen of the house and attacked Mr Warton outside in nearby Dove Close after he tried to comfort the teenage girl.

Yesterday the court also heard from Natasha Oakes, a scenes of crime investigator for Hampshire Constabulary, who spoke to the jury about the scene of the alleged attack.

She said they found a blood-splattered knife with a five-inch blade in the front garden of a house in Curlew Gardens along with a bread knife.

A third knife was discovered on a pile of rubbish and a fourth knife was found when police searched the drains.

Bailey, of Robin Gardens, Wecock, denies murder, and says he was acting in self-defence after Mr Warton and two brothers, Mr Woodacre and Matthew Mourne, set upon him on April 12.

He was arrested by police at a flat in Southampton House, Broadmere Avenue, Leigh Park, on April 14.