Parents in Southsea tell of their horror after yobs hurl rock at packed school minibus

Damage to the Mayville school bus
Damage to the Mayville school bus

  • City council leaders brands the incident ‘disturbing’
  • Calls have now been made for police to catch the attackers before they strike again
0
Have your say

PARENTS have told of their horror after yobs threw a stone through the window of a school bus full of children.

On Tuesday at about 4.15pm one of Mayville School’s minibuses was attacked while it was taking pupils home.

This was a very disturbing and traumatic event for the children involved

Councillor Donna Jones, leader of Portsmouth City Council

It was travelling through Holbrook Road, Landport, when a stone smashed through the window, narrowly avoiding injuring the children inside.

Now calls have now been made to catch the yobs before they can strike again, with a council leader branding the incident ‘disturbing’.

Shopna Ali, of Fratton, has two young children attending the school and said she was upset by the attack.

‘It’s shocking and surprising because it’s a quiet neighbourhood,’ Mrs Ali said.

‘We’ve been here for about three years now.

‘In all that time we have never heard of anything like that happening. It’s just unacceptable behaviour. I won’t stand for it.’

Parent Lindsey Morgans, 42, of Southsea, was scared by the news and hoped the bus route could be temporarily changed.

‘It’s shocking and really worrying that someone could do this,’ she told The News.

While another parent, who asked not to be named, said the incident was isolated and that there had been no previous attacks.

They added: ‘Children deserve to be protected. To be attacked like that is just disgraceful. I can’t imagine why anybody would want to do that.’

City council boss Donna Jones is hopeful the culprits will be apprehended.

‘This was a very disturbing and traumatic event for the children involved,’ she said.

‘Thankfully there is CCTV in Holbrook Road and I hope police will be able to access the footage to ascertain who carried out this unprovoked and potentially dangerous attack on a group of innocent children going home.’

The school’s headteacher Rebecca Parkyn said police were already hunting for the yobs.

‘We have all been very shocked by this incident but fortunately no-one was hurt,’ she added.

A spokeswoman from Hampshire Constabulary confirmed the force was investigating the attack.

Witnesses should call police on 101 quoting 44160157463.