Picture slideshow: Filthy conditions at Chinese takeaway in Portsmouth

Share this article

Second man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after Portsmouth incident

Have your say

FILTHY conditions at a Chinese takeaway have led to the director of the business being fined £1,800.

Jim Teck Fa Lai, who runs the New Fir Tree Chinese takeaway in Eastney Road, Eastney, was given the penalty at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court.

The ''Fir Tree restaurant in Eastney Road, Southsea.

The ''Fir Tree restaurant in Eastney Road, Southsea.

Mr Lai, 38, of Fratton Road, pleaded guilty to nine charges including haphazard storage of uncovered meats, having a filthy and corroded sink and using dirty food containers.

Councillor Robert New, Portsmouth City Council’s cabinet member for environment and community safety, said the filthy conditions were a violation of trust.

He said: ‘This was a clear case of the public being put at risk by a business they should have been able to trust.’

‘We act firmly when we discover such cases, to ensure residents are protected in the future.

‘In Portsmouth we will not tolerate food businesses that fail to meet proper standards.’

Mr Lai was ordered to pay £200 for each offence.

He was also ordered to pay £20 to a fund for victims of crime and £500 in court costs.

In December the council received complaints about mice in the front servery, poor cleanliness, unhygienic practices and alleged food poisoning.

A council officer visited on December 12 and found the structure of the premises, particularly the kitchen and store room finishes, was very poor.

The main equipment sink was corroded and in a filthy condition and there was evidence of mice in food preparation and storage areas.

The officer found that the building, most appliances and food contact surfaces were dirty and the food storage arrangements were unsatisfactory.

The charges also included having a filthy sink and cooking pot and defrosting meat in dirty water, and allowing a significant build-up of grease and food debris.

The officer also found that the takeaway’s food business registration was out-of-date.

The officer declared the takeaway to be ‘an imminent health risk situation’ and Mr Lai closed the premises voluntarily.

It reopened on January 31 after cleaning, pest control and other hygiene measures were carried out.

A council spokesman said an officer visited the takeaway this week and found conditions were satisfactory.

Last night Mr Lai was not available to make a comment.