Police find lower part of body on Southsea beach

Police cordon off Richmond Road in Southsea in connection with the torso that was washed up on Southsea Beach.
Police cordon off Richmond Road in Southsea in connection with the torso that was washed up on Southsea Beach.
Swansea City Centre. Credit: Wiki Commons (Labelled for reuse)

NATIONAL: Earthquake causes tremors south west of England and Wales

Have your say

POLICE investigating the discovery of a torso on Southsea beach have found the lower part of the victim’s body nearby.

The man’s legs were found on the shoreline in front of Castle Field, just a short distance from the spot at which the torso was discovered on Tuesday.

A Hampshire Police spokesman said: ‘Shortly after 8am today, police search teams located what appears to be the lower half of the body on the rocks at low tide in front of Castle Field, Southsea. Forensic examinations are being carried out at this location.’

The victim, who they have identified, is understood to be from the Portsmouth area.

The latest gruesome discovery came as police continued to block off Richmond Road in Southsea, following the arrest of a 46-year-old man last night.

Today forensic experts were removing a drain cover in Richmond Road, Southsea.

Officers dressed in white protective suits and wearing face masks entered the four-storey building in Richmond Road, Southsea, just after 10.30am as police stood guard outside.

It follows the arrest of a 46-year-old man from the Portsmouth area who is being questioned by detectives over the discovery of the torso on the beach on Tuesday evening.

Richmond Road was cordoned off in the early hours of today. The area is shut to people passing through but residents are being allowed to and from their homes.

The area is cordoned off with blue and white police tape and police community support officers in high-visibility jackets are at the scene,

A nearby petrol station and the adjoining business Owl Motors has also been cordoned off and a police community support officer was standing guard outside an address in Brandon Road, which runs parallel to Richmond Road.

A murder inquiry was launched after the torso of a white man was found wrapped in a black bin liner by a group of foreign students. It was missing its head and both arms and legs.

Police say they have identified the victim and are contacting his family. Police have not yet named him and have not said if he was from the local area.

Officers stood guard at each end of Richmond Road in Southsea and there appeared to be separate cordons around a petrol station in the road and a block of flats.

Police swooped on the road, off Victoria Road South, last night as part of the murder inquiry.

This morning, each end of the road was blocked by tape, cones and scene guards and manned by two officers.

Other officers were outside a block of flats half way along the road.

And there were two vans and a cordon around a petrol station and garage in Richmond Road. Police had also sealed off the back compound of the garage, which can be accessed from the adjoining Brandon Road.

Police at the scene would not give any details of the operation, but a control room spokesman said that no residents had been evacuated from the street.

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Dick Pearson said:

‘We continue to appeal to the community to contact us with any information which could assist us. Despite this morning’s discovery which is connected to the investigation, other body parts and items linked to the murder remain outstanding. If you notice a suspicious package that may be linked to this inquiry do not open it, but contact police immediately.

‘Although the arrest and discovery of further body parts are significant developments in the investigation, we are still in the early stages of evidence gathering.

‘We would also like to hear from anyone who noticed any suspicious activity or people on the seafront. Members of the community who are in the area regularly will know if something or someone is out of place, or notice unusual behaviour. Please report it to us.

‘The Major Investigation team is in close contact with local policing teams. There is no indication of further risk to the community however this is being continually reassessed.’

Police said anyone who may be able to assist the investigation team should contact the Eastern Area Major Investigation team on 101, quoting Operation Nimbus. Mini-Com users can call the police on 01962 875000. Information can be given anonymously by calling the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.