Pompey fan in huge ‘baying mob’ avoids jail for violent disorder after defeat​​​​​​​ at Fratton Park

A POMPEY fan who launched missiles at opposition supporters as part of a ‘baying mob’ has been stripped of his season ticket and banned from watching football.

Peter Hawkins appeared at Portsmouth Crown Court to be sentenced today after a jury found him guilty of violent disorder.

Fratton Park  Picture: Shaun Roster / www.shaunroster.com

Fratton Park Picture: Shaun Roster / www.shaunroster.com

The 48-year-old became embroiled in a dispute with Oldham supporters after a 2-1 Pompey defeat at Fratton Park, on September 30 last year.

Prosecuting, Simon Jones explained how Hawkins had gone to the game with his son and watched on from the North Stand as a pitch invasion broke out at the end of play.

After the final whistle, he joined a swarm of aggressive Pompey fans in marching round to the away turnstiles to confront travelling Oldham supporters. 

It was there he threw two items towards them – narrowly missing a police officer – in a tirade of shocking post-match behaviour. 

A number of suspects have already received bans for the violence.

‘He knew turning right after the game would take him to the away turnstile – he knew where he was going and he got what he wanted,' Mr Jones said. 

‘This was violent disorder. This is one of the most serious public order act offences we have. 

‘[Hawkins] played a part not just with the other defendants who pleaded guilty, but a baying mob which reached over 100 people.’ 

The court heard while Pompey fan Hawkins had not been in football-related trouble before, he does have a number of previous convictions. 

He received a community order in 2009 for assault after punching a woman in the face. 

Mitigating, Paul Jones said Hawkins stood before judge Timothy Mousley ‘a changed man’ since then – but confessed last September’s events have had a ‘great effect’ on his life.

'He is someone who has supported the football club for 35 years and says that he has let himself down, his family down, his son down and his football club down,' Mr Jones said. 

‘It is highly unlikely Portsmouth Football Club will welcome him back with open arms.’ 

The court heard the club itself had already stripped Hawkins of his season ticket. 

Sentencing, Judge Mousley ‘took into account remorse expressed’, but slammed Hawkins’ ‘abusive and threatening’ behaviour. 

Hawkins received a 12-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months. 

He must also complete 175 hours of unpaid work and pay £250 compensation to Portsmouth Football Club.