Portsmouth man’s death was an accident, a coroner has said

Nathan Crossley
Nathan Crossley
  • Death of 30-year-old man at home was found to be an accident
  • Nathan Crossley was found to have asphyxiated
  • Family have paid tribute to the loving dad of a young daughter
Have your say

TRIBUTES have been paid to a much-loved DJ and dad who died in an accident at home.

Nathan Crossley died on February 6 at the house he shared with his parents in Oxford Road, Southsea.

He loved life and he was so happy

Wendy Mills

The 30-year-old was found to have asphyxiated and had fallen down the stairs while he was home alone but exactly what happened remains a mystery.

At an inquest at Portsmouth Coroner’s Court, coroner David Horsley concluded it was an accidental death.

Nathan was dad to a seven-year-old girl. He worked as a builder and had a passion for music.

As a popular DJ, he was known as ‘Ratman’ or ‘Ratty’ because of a gap between his front teeth.

His mum, Maureen Crossley, said Nathan was sorely missed.

She said: ‘We all loved him a lot. He was a son and a father. We are happy with the conclusion.’

Nathan’s aunt, Wendy Mills said he had many friends a passion for life.

She said: ‘He loved life and he was so happy, he would say hi to everybody. He is missed a lot by a lot of people.’

His cousin Laura-Anne Wills said Nathan would stay ‘forever young’.

The inquest heard Nathan had returned home from a pub in afternoon after having a few beers with his dad, Alan, saying that he ‘had to go home to sort something out’.

Although Nathan was found to have had some alchohol still in his system as well as trace amounts of cocaine and cannabis, Mr Horsley did not say these were factors in his death.

Maureen returned home just after 4pm and found him laid out straight at the bottom of the stairs with a onesie wrapped tightly around his neck.

A stepladder, which the family stored at the top of the stairs to access the loft, had been tipped forward, and a television in Nathan’s upstairs bedroom had also been knocked out of place.

Forensic pathologist Dr Basil Purdue later attended the scene and examined the body.

Dr Purdue told the inquest there had been scars and scuffs on Nathan’s head and hands, and a mark on his neck from where the onesie had been wrapped.

Dr Purdue said it looked like Nathan struggled to free himself from the onesie, which might have become caught on the stepladder.

He said: ‘It’s likely that he has become suspended from the stepladder and tried to free himself.’

Mr Horsley said there was no evidence that Nathan had been murdered or that he had committed suicide.

He said: ‘I think this has somehow happened accidentally. He somehow had this onesie tangled around his neck and he has stumbled.’