POMPEY player Anton Walkes has been fined and banned from driving for two years after driving while disqualified to a game at Fratton Park.
The 21-year-old was driving a black Mercedes-Benz along Fratton Way to a game against Fleetwood Town when he was stopped by police who recognised him on October 20.
Magistrates heard he was not arrested – as he was on the way to play – but instead was later sent a summons in the post.
He had been previously banned for not providing a specimen of breath when stopped by police in the summer.
Bridget O’Hagan, defending, said: ‘He has a lot going on in his personal life and he forgot to book a taxi on that day and the vehicle which he still had the keys to was on his drive.
‘The officers who stopped him gave him a summons so that he could go to the game.’
‘He is remorseful for what he has done and wants to do the drink driving course offered to him previously.’
The former Tottenham Hotspurs player appeared at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court today from the cells and admitted driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.
Magistrates fined him £1,070 and banned him from driving for two years.
He was also handed a 12-month community order with 120 hours of unpaid work and six points on his licence.
Yesterday a warrant was put out for his arrest as Walkes failed to attend the court yesterday.
Bridget O’Hagan, mitigating, said: ‘The postal requisition was sent to a different address. He handed himself into police last night who told him to come back in the morning for the case.’
Magistrates were told he had been using taxis to get around after being banned from driving earlier in the summer.
In June Walkes had been stopped by police while driving the £35,000 vehicle in Alec Rose Lane and offices tried to breathalyse him.
However, a court heard the Tottenham Hotspur Academy graduate, who joined Portsmouth Football Club on loan in January, would not provide a 'specimen of breath' for officers.