Portsmouth pub to stay shut after fight

The Victory pub on The Hard, Portsea, has had its licence suspended
The Victory pub on The Hard, Portsea, has had its licence suspended
  • The Victory pub has had its licence suspended
  • Concerns were raised over violence, ownership and fire safety
  • Venue was closed voluntarily following a fight last month
Have your say

A PUB where a fight broke out with people using pool cues and balls as weapons has lost its licence.

The Victory on The Hard in Portsmouth had it suspended at a Portsmouth City Council licensing sub-committee meeting at the Guildhall.

We did our best to sort it all out as quickly as possible

Jayne Irwin

The pub was deemed unfit for business because of two serious violent incidents as well as concerns over fire safety and questions over its ownership.

The pub was closed after a fight broke out on the night of July 4 and spilled out onto the street.

The committee heard that one person was left unconscious for about six minutes while other people kept fighting around him.

Jayne Irwin, who was running the pub at the time of the fight, said staff did their best to get the situation under control.

She said: ‘The first thing we did was call the police.

‘The three boys that were involved don’t usually drink in the pub.

‘We did our best to sort it all out as quickly as possible.’

Mrs Irwin was at the committee meeting representing Yian Jones, who is the pub’s premises licence holder.

Councillors were told that the pub is actually controlled by Chris Hunt, even though he is not listed as a director of the business.

The committee’s legal advisor Tory Putnam told the committee this was another reason for suspending the pub’s licence.

Ms Putnam said: ‘There is this figure who purports to control The Victory but has no legal responsibility.’

The committee heard there were concerns over fire safety at the pub, and that the fire extinguishers there had not been checked in more than two years.

A police report on The Victory said that while the pub had been plagued by violence in the past, things had generally improved since Mrs Irwin took over.

But a serious assault took place there on June 4 in which a man was hit over the head with a pool cue and needed stitches.

The police report said that in the latest fight on July 4, ‘numerous punches were thrown, a male was knocked unconscious and man was kicked whilst on the floor, and despite the supervisor, her husband and door staff being on duty all control of the venue was completely lost.’

The managers closed the pub voluntarily after the latest fight.