A TRAVEL firm used by Pompey has admitted dozens of charges over failing to keep proper records about time spent by drivers on the road.
Vision Travel International Ltd and Vision Travel Minibuses Ltd pleaded guilty to 38 charges between them under the Transport Act 1968.
These include charges over drivers failing to take long enough rest breaks or complete their tachographs properly – a legal requirement to keep a record of time drivers spend behind the wheel.
All of the offences are said to have taken place in November and December last year.
They deny a further 68 charges which have been set for trial in February.
The companies originally faced 132 charges following an investigation by the Vehicle and operator Services Agency (VOSA).
But yesterday, 31 charges were dropped at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court.
Eight drivers have also admitted 58 charges between them.
They include taking insufficient rest, making a fake record and failing to use record sheets.
It is a legal requirement for all coach drivers to take set breaks and they are limited as to how long they are allowed to drive within a 24-hour period for safety reasons.
Two charges of failing to use record sheets against driver William Sargent, 64, of Marine Parade West, Lee-on-the-Solent, were dropped.
And seven charges against driver Trevor Byng, 60, of Newbolt Toad, Paulsgrove, Portsmouth, were also dropped.
He will now face a hearing at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court in February for one count of aiding and abetting a false tachograph entry – a charge he denies.
Vision Travel International Ltd and Vision Travel Minibuses Ltd are also set to appear in court for the trial in February.
A further seven drivers have already pleaded guilty or been convicted of charges at Fareham Magistrates’ Court.
Two more drivers face a further 24 charges between them.
Paul Bigwood, 43, from Crombie Close, Waterlooville, and Peter Williams, 59, of Gorley Court, Havant, are on bail.
They will appear at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court on December 13.
· Barry Simpson, 55, of Forest Avenue, Waterlooville. Nine charges. Fined £1,100. Costs £465.
· John Martin, 67, of Martin Road, Waterlooville. Eight charges. Fined £700. Costs £415.
· Jason White, 37, of Purbrook Way, Havant. Three charges. Fined £200. Costs £165.
· Gary Peters, 53, of Hillseley Road, Paulsgrove. Six charges. Fined £300. Costs £315.
· Michael Muff, 57, of Harleston Road, Portsmouth. Four charges. Fined £30. Costs £215.
· Gerald Hall, 64, of Nutwick Road, Havant. Seven charges. Fined £700. Costs £365.
· John Simon Evans, 44, of Launceston Close, Gosport. Four charges. Fined £400. Costs £215.
· Vision Travel International Ltd. Admits 33 charges. Denies 44 charges. Twenty-five charges dropped.
· Vision Travel Minibuses Ltd. Admits five charges. Denies 19 charges. Six charges dropped.
· Charles Alexander, 60, of Robin Gardens, Waterlooville. Twelve charges. Fined £875. Costs £315.
· Paul Deacon, 56, of Gorley Court, Havant. Eight charges. Fined £300. Costs £115.
· Mervyn Hedges, 54, of Sydney Road, Gosport. Seven charges. Fined £300. Costs £215.
· Stephen Jeffrey, 59, of Foxcott Grove, Leigh Park. Five charges. Fined £350. Costs £140.
· Ian Puleston, 44, of Blackfriars Road, Southsea. Four charges. Fined £300. Costs £115.
· Ian Seaton, 59, of Wadhouse Road, Hedge End. Six charges. Fined £450. Costs £165.
· Paul Smith, 62, of Hawstead Green, Havant. Nine charges. One charge dropped. Fined £300. Costs £240.
· Anthony White, 48, of Thomas Grant Avenue, Gosport. Seven charges. Fined £475. Costs £190.
· Peter Williams, 59, of Gorley Court, Havant. Twelve charges.
· Paul Bigwood, 43, of Crombie Close, Waterlooville. Twelve charges.