Purbrook conman refused to open door to have tag fitted

COURT Peter Gold
COURT Peter Gold

CCTV released to help find missing man

Have your say

A COWBOY electrician who conned people out of cash pretended to be asleep when a security firm tried to attach an electronic tag to his leg.

Peter Gold was given a suspended sentence with a six-month curfew by a judge at Portsmouth Crown Court after cheating 16 people out of money.

But when officials from security company G4S visited his home later that day, he refused to answer the door.

Gold, who is also known as Robert Pegley, was back in court yesterday for a hearing to decide whether he had breached the conditions of his suspended sentence.

He insisted he fell asleep because of the stress of the court case and the effect of medication he takes for diabetes and heart trouble.

‘By the time I got home I was feeling bad physically and mentally,’ he said.

‘I went straight to bed feeling dreadful.’

Asked if he heard the G4S worker knocking he said: ‘No, I was asleep.’

Another member of staff for the security firm went to Gold’s house in Bursledon Road, Purbrook, the next evening but he again failed to open the door.

‘Again I went to bed early,’ he said.

But Judge Roger Hetherington rejected the 65-year-old’s story and said he had deliberately refused to open his door.

He said: ‘He took the view that if someone was going to fit monitoring equipment they had to make an appointment and in bloody-minded reluctance he refused entry.

‘I find that he knew perfectly well that someone was at the door to install the monitoring equipment.

‘I think he would have heard the knocking at the front door. Indeed the fact that lights were on inside the house suggests that people were up.’

Gold’s curfew, which will now be activated, means he has to stay at home from 7pm until 7am.

Judge Hetherington decided not to impose the three-month suspended sentence.

He warned Gold: ‘If you breach this order again then undoubtedly you will go to prison on the next occasion.’

Gold was told to pay £350 in costs and banned from doing any electrical repair work for two years.

As previously reported in The News he was convicted in February after telling his victims their electricals were beyond repair and then charging hidden call-out fees between 2008 and 2010.

He has no qualifications as an electrician and advertised his services offering special deals for pensioners.

Often the items he tested could have been easily fixed by a qualified electrician.