QUESTIONS have been raised about how a man died in a prison cell in a high-security jail as he awaited trial for trying to murder two teenage boys.
It comes as Richard Walsh, 43, of no fixed address, was found hanged in his prison cell at HMP Belmarsh on Sunday.
Portsmouth Crown Court was told by prosecutor Stephen Parish that staff discovered Walsh shortly after 11am.
He was accused of trying to murder two boy, 12 and 13, in the June 26 attack in Southleigh Road, Havant.
The News has learnt the 13-year-old had to have a blood transfusion at the scene and there were fears if the air ambulance had not have been available he could have died.
Passers-by were able to stop Walsh and he was detained while police arrived, The News understands.
A previous court hearing was told that Walsh was living in a tent near where the attack took place.
The 13-year-old’s father previously told this newspaper his son is still unable to walk following the stabbing.
Questions have since been raised by numerous people how the death happened.
The Ministry of Justice said Walsh was not on suicide watch at the time of his death but when asked if he had been earlier a spokesman said that would form part of the investigation into the death.
Yesterday the independent Prisons and Probation Ombudsman said it would take between 22 and 27 weeks for a report to be compiled which would then be passed to the coroner for an inquest.
Judge Sarah Munro QC yesterday stayed criminal proceedings, subject to the court receiving a death certificate.
Walsh was also facing charges of assault and robbing a bike from a youth.
Prison staff attempted CPR but paramedics pronounced him dead at 11.07am after he was found unresponsive.
When he was arrested Hampshire police said the force was not looking for anyone else in relation to the attacks.
The two boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were described as being in a serious but stable condition by police after the attacks.
The 13-year-old boy was flown by air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital with serious injuries and he received surgery to save his life.
The 12-year-old was taken by road ambulance to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham and then moved to Southampton General Hospital.