Samuel Etherington back in court over deaths in Gosport of Jasmine Allsop and Olivia Lewry

IN COURT Samuel Etherington
IN COURT Samuel Etherington
Sam Ashley denies four rapes, two attempted rapes, and four charges of administering a substance with intent over four men

Man accused of rape told arresting officer he only had ‘heart-to-heart’ with alleged victim

Have your say

A MAN charged with manslaughter is due to appear in court today.

Samuel Etherington, 20, from Stoners Close, Gosport, is accused of two counts of manslaughter after the green Honda Civic he was driving collided with two pedestrians in Ann’s Hill Road, Gosport, at about 4.15am on Sunday.

Jasmine Allsop, 14, died at the scene.

Her best friend Olivia Lewry, 16, was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham where she later died.

Etherington is due to appear at Winchester Crown Court today.

Etherington wept in the dock as a collision that led to the deaths of two teenagers was described at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Ian Harris, prosecuting, told Portsmouth magistrates: ‘Etherington, driving his green, V-registration Honda Civic, travelling north along Ann’s Hill Road in Gosport collided with Jasmine and her friend, Olivia.

‘It seems that Jasmine was killed instantly by the collision.

‘Olivia was found injured at the same time.

‘She died a short time later in the hospital as a result of the injuries.

‘Etherington was unharmed by the collision.’

Jasmine’s mother Rosemary, 37, has told how she kissed her daughter goodbye as she lay dead in the road just yards away from her home.

Floral tributes to the two girls have been laid near the scene of the crash.

Dozens of tributes to Jasmine, who was a pupil at Brune Park Community School, and Olivia, who studied at St Vincent’s College in Gosport, have been posted online on social media websites.

Dressed in a blue, round necked jumper and grey tracksuit bottoms and flanked by two custody officers, Etherington spoke only to confirm his name, address and date-of-birth when he appeared in the glass panelled dock at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court.

He did not give any indication of a plea.