Serial criminal jailed for punching friend’s mum during break-in

Have your say

A SERIAL criminal has been jailed for 15 months for a string of offences including punching a woman in the face after he broke into her home.

Jack Lindsay was sentenced at Portsmouth Crown Court.

You also punched his mother in the face

Judge Sarah Munro QC

The 20-year-old pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm – for punching Andrea Wicken – handling stolen goods, breach of a restraining order, causing criminal damage, common assault, assault on the police and two counts of theft.

Before sentencing, the judge heard that Lindsay had already been to court more than 60 times to answer for more than 100 offences.

One of the incidents that he was sentenced for happened on December 9, when he went to the home of Karne Wicken in Sedgley Close, Southsea.

Mr Wicken lived with his girlfriend and mum Andrea Wicken at the house, and he was friends with Lindsay until this incident.

Judge Sarah Munro QC was told that Lindsay entered the home and attacked its occupants.

Ms Munro told him: ‘You climbed through a window and started punching Mr Wicken in the face and body.

‘You also punched his mother in the face.’

They managed to get Lindsay out of the house and after police arrived he attacked them as well.

Ms Munro said: ‘During the struggle the officer received a cut to his arm and grazes to his arms and knuckles.

‘And you further attacked police officers at the station after your arrest.’

Another incident which Lindsay, of Milton Road, Milton, Portsmouth, pleaded guilty to happened on November 2 last year, when he visited the home of Douglas Cawte and Jasmine Newman, the sister of his ex-girlfriend.

Lindsay breached a restraining order he received after a previous incident by going there and he was arrested by police.

Ms Munro said: ‘Following your arrest you were saying things like “I’m going to go down there tomorrow and somebody will die. I’m going to cut you all”.’

Lindsay was also found carrying goods, including an iPod and a beard trimmer, taken in a burglary early that morning.

He answered charges for stealing electrical goods from a Sainsbury’s on November 9 last year and stealing a bottle of spirits from Marks & Spencer in Chichester on November 23.

Defence barrister Bridget O’Hagan said she had known Lindsay since he started getting into trouble with the law.

She said: ‘When not under the influence of alcohol he does have huge potential.

‘If he doesn’t grow up he is going to throw his life down the tubes.’