Shock after man suffers facial injuries in early-hours '˜acid attack'

SHOCKED workers have told how a man was taken to hospital after suffering facial injuries in an '˜acid attack'.

Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 7:51 am
Updated Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 1:06 pm
Police investigate after a man had a corrosive chemical thrown in his face in Lee-on-the-Solent Picture: Jason Kay

Police confirmed a man was hospitalised following an assault by two other men at around 4am in High Street, Lee-on-the-Solent.

Workers at firms in the town’s main shopping street have said they were told by customers the man suffered burns on his arms and face.

The victim was on his way to work at the time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Charlie Paterson, from All Seasons Fruiterers, in High Street, said: ‘It’s always so quiet around here, it’s really bizarre to have something like that happen.

‘I was told he went to get his cycle out of the shed quite early and they must have said something and did that.

‘He got rushed to hospital and his face and arms were completely burnt. It all seems a bit weird.’

Hampshire police would not confirm if an acid was used and said other materials could have potentially caused the injuries to the man’s face.

People arriving for work yesterday were met with a police cordon taping off the alleyway that runs behind Lee Florist and other shops.

Kim Cartwright, from Solent Mobility, added: ‘When it’s close to home you think “oh my god”. It’s a bit scary.

‘We don’t really know what’s going on.’

Police said a 47-year-old man is in hospital following an assault.

A Hampshire police spokesman said: ‘He has been taken to hospital for treatment and enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances of what has happened.’

A fire officer from Winchester attended.

South Central Ambulance Service was called at 4.08am.

It sent an ambulance, which then took a man with serious, but not life-threatening, injuries to the Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham.

Two men are now being hunted by police.

The victim said the first man was tanned, 5ft 7in, of medium build, had dark hair and was in his 20s.

He was wearing a wedding ring, a blue or black tracksuit with a QPR emblem on the left shoulder, and white trainers.

The second man was white, 5ft 6in, skinny, aged in his late teens and had a beard around his jaw line.

He was wearing blue jeans, and a blue and white striped top under a black bomber jacket

Call Det Sgt David West at Fratton police station on 101 quoting 44160165297.