Six arrested after brawl leaves man with broken legs

CRIME SCENE Police vehicles outside the Portsdown Inn.  Picture: Steve Reid (120323-643)
CRIME SCENE Police vehicles outside the Portsdown Inn. Picture: Steve Reid (120323-643)
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN was today recovering in hospital after both his legs were broken in a fight outside a pub.

Five men and a woman were arrested after the brawl outside the Portsdown Inn pub in Portchester.

Police were called at 2.44am on Saturday to reports of a fight.

The 37-year-old victim from Portsmouth was left with multiple fractures to his legs.

The five men, aged 20, 23, 33, 40 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of assault causing grievous bodily harm. The woman, in her 40s, was also arrested in connection with the incident. They have all been bailed until March.

Terrified neighbours say the area has been plagued with problems for years.

Sally Smith, 50, of Leith Avenue, said: ‘I woke up to the sound of glass being smashed and it sounded like there was an almighty fight going on.

‘So I just hid and kept all the lights off. You could hear the man screaming.

‘I have lived here for four years now and it’s dreadful.

‘There’s a lot of retired people and people with disabilities living here and they must be terrified.

‘My neighbour is pregnant and has a child already and they are scared.’

A 39-year-old hospital nurse who lives nearby ran out of her house to help the injured man. The woman, who did not want to be named, said: ‘He was in quite a bad state on the floor and I stayed with him until the ambulance came.

‘Living here is hell. I get bottles smashed in my front garden, people urinating in my garden and people being sick in my garden.

‘There’s always fighting. It’s a regular occurrence and it makes living here a misery.

‘I have phoned the police loads over the past year.

‘I waited for it to calm down a little bit before I went out and then I sat on the floor with him.

‘I was talking to him and trying to keep him with me.’

The 37-year-old victim was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham. He will have to undergo surgery on multiple serious injuries.

The pub and surrounding area were cordoned off by police on Saturday while forensic officers and detectives examined the scene.

Several windows at the front of the pub appear to have been smashed.

The pub was open again yesterday with a notice to customers apologising for disruption. The landlord was unavailable for comment.

Anyone who saw the attack or has any information should call Fareham CID on 101.

Alternatively you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Police move to reassure neighbours after fight

THERE was a heavy police presence outside the pub at the weekend while officers examined the scene of the attack.

Officers said they wanted to reassure people living nearby after the fight, which took place in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Later in the day, police officers and detectives could be seen examining the area around the Portsdown Inn, in Leith Avenue, including a pathway alongside the building.

A number of nearby homes were also cordoned off while police carried out their investigation.

A message posted on social networking website Twitter by the Portchester police safer neighbourhoods team on Saturday said: ‘We will be around Portsdown Inn this morning, reassuring locals as a result of an incident there last night.

‘No repercussions please.’

Several of the pub’s windows appeared to have been smashed and those were boarded up.

Officers could also be seen using ladders to look over the tops of fences bordering properties near the pub, which was closed on Saturday.

Police officers and detectives had left the scene by Sunday and the pub was reopened.