Stabber sent to prison after admitting to his crime in middle of trial

Lee Rendell admitted stabbing another man at a flat in Portsmouth. He was jailed for three years.
Lee Rendell admitted stabbing another man at a flat in Portsmouth. He was jailed for three years.
Sam Ashley, 30, of Lynton Gardens, Fareham, was found guilty of drugging and raping men he met on the gay hook-up app Grindr

Police watchdog report reveals investigators ‘not told’ of previous allegation against Grindr rapist

  • Lee Rendell was sentenced to three years and one month for the crime of unlawful wounding
  • Rendell attacked another man, Phillip Mills, who was drinking at his flat
  • Rendell already had 21 convictions, mostly for violent crime
Have your say

A VIOLENT thug has been sent to jail for three years and one month for stabbing another man.

Lee Rendell was given the sentence after changing his plea to guilty in the middle of his trial at Portsmouth Crown Court.

This was a mindless act of extreme violence on an innocent victim.

Jane Rowley

The 37-year-old beat up and then stabbed Phillip Mills at Rendell’s flat at Spicer House, King William Street, Portsea on October 17 last year.

The judge, recorder Jane Rowley, said Rendell already had 21 convictions for 50 offences, 19 of which were offences against the person including battery, assault and grievous bodily harm.

Ms Rowley said: ‘This was a mindless act of extreme violence on an innocent victim.

‘Mr Mills at first refused to co-operate, claiming that he had fallen over.

‘You are clearly a man with a known propensity for violence who people fear.’

Mr Mills had been drinking at Rendell’s flat with a group of others, but Rendell and Mr Mills didn’t know each other.

Ms Rowley said Rendell started punching Mr Mills, 32, ‘for no apparent reason other than that you found him in your flat’ and forced him to the floor.

Ms Rowley said: ‘This was a sustained attack because you then got up, went to your kitchen and could be heard rifling through your drawers looking for a knife. You then came back and attacked him with that knife.’

Mr Mills was left with bruises and stab wounds to his upper body, and he went to a walk-in centre for treatment.

Rendell denied wounding with intent and an alternative charge of wounding when his trial started on Monday.

But he admitted the charge of wounding in court yesterday morning and the jury was asked to enter a formal verdict of guilty.

Barrister Chris Baur, defending, said Rendell was depressed and regretful about his actions.

He said Rendell’s partner, Sarah Harrison, gave birth to their son in December and he was upset that he would miss the first part of his life.

Mr Baur said: ‘He has had a very difficult life, obviously brought on by himself, by his alcohol problems.

‘He is very depressed by the fact that he missed his son’s birth and that he will miss the first year of his child’s life.

‘He has lost his flat, his dog and that chance to lead a civilised life.’

Mr Baur said Rendell had not admitted the crime earlier because he had been drunk at the time and did not remember clearly what had happened.

Ms Rowley said any more offences committed by Rendell would only lead to longer sentences.

She said: ‘The injuries caused were serious. It’s only with luck that they were not more serious.

‘There’s clear evidence that in drink your actions were both unlawful and unnecessary.

‘You are a man who is known to these courts.

‘What shines clearly through your previous convictions is that you have an established record of violent offending.’