Student is jailed for walking in on woman in shower

Chernev Radostin
Chernev Radostin

Flurry of suspected fraudsters targeting residents in Gosport

Have your say

A STUDENT who went into a house and confronted a woman in the shower has been jailed for two years.

Radostin Chernev, who was in the UK to study at the University of Portsmouth, will be sent back to Bulgaria when he has finished serving his sentence.

His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, says she is relieved to know he will not be back in the city.

Chernev, pictured right, got into the house in Boulton Road, Southsea, after the back door was left unlocked at 3pm.

He went into the bathroom, where the woman was showering, and stood staring at her after pulling back the shower curtain.

His victim screamed and the 27-year-old walked out into the garden.

The woman, who is in her 20s, said: ‘I’m happy with the sentence.

‘I’m relieved there’s not going to be a trial because I didn’t want to see him again.

‘Even seeing his photo brought back a load of horrible memories.’

Chernev, of Furze Lane, Milton, was arrested after The News ran his photograph and appealed for anyone with information to go to the police.

He pleaded guilty to trespassing with intent to commit a sexual offence, following the incident in February.

His victim said: ‘It was scary. Everybody says be careful at night but this happened in the middle of the afternoon so it makes you think you’re not safe in the day either.

‘I want to move but I don’t know what to do yet. Knowing he is not coming back to Portsmouth is reassuring.

‘I’m a bit more wary around men now because of what he has done but I can’t keep thinking about what could have happened.’

Judge Richard Price sentenced him to two years’ jail at Portsmouth Crown Court.

Detective Constable Stephen Ryan, who investigated the case, said: ‘It was a traumatic experience for her and it’s a serious incident.

‘It’s had a big impact upon her life. The back door was insecure. I understand when it’s warm people want doors open but this sort of incident is rare in Portsmouth and it’s one where just simple precautions would make it preventable.’