Suicide followed news of an ex’s new relationship in Portsmouth

Coroner David Horsley
Coroner David Horsley
  • Death of 22-year-old was found to be a suicide
  • He hanged himself in a wooded area near his home
Have your say

A MAN who discovered his ex-girlfriend had started going out with 
someone else hanged himself from a tree, an inquest heard.

Coroner David Horsley concluded that the death of Connor Hine was suicide, in a hearing at Portsmouth Coroner’s Court.

It seems that he was the sort of lad who kept his problems to himself

David Horsley

The 22-year-old was found dead on September 25 last year in a wooded area behind his flat at Parkfield House, Almondsbury Road, Paulsgrove.

The court was told that he had not spoken about harming himself to anyone in his family.

Mr Horsley said: ‘It seems that he was the sort of lad who kept his problems to himself and laughed and joked, but sadly it seems they went much deeper than anyone suspected.

‘I have to conclude that he has taken his own life.’

Constable Marilyn Oliver from Cosham Police Station said Mr Hine was a plasterboard fixer.

She said he was a social drinker and occasional cocaine user, who had been in a two-year relationship 
with a woman which ended about six months before he died.

She said Mr Hine was back on talking terms with his ex-girlfriend and was hopeful of getting back together with her.

But then he found out she had a new partner.

PC Oliver said: ‘He recently discovered that she had a new relationship.

‘It was noticed by friends and colleagues that he had started to drink more than usual and that his drug use had increased.’

She said he got home from work about 7pm the day before he was found dead and then left the flat after speaking to his dad.

He sent a text to his mum at 9.11pm, but did not return home that night.

‘Connor then failed to return home and did not go to work the next day, which was out of character for him,’ PC Oliver said.

A note was found later that day explaining what he’d done and where he was.

PC Oliver said: ‘Connor was found hanging from a tree in a secluded area not easily accessible from the residential area.’

His mobile phone was found nearby.

Pathologist David Cowlishaw found Mr Hine had non-lethal amounts of paracetamol, alcohol and cocaine in his system when he died.