Suspicious motorbike fire in Portsmouth

A Ford Transit van

POLICE WARNING: £20 lock picks used to break into vans across Hampshire

Have your say

AN EXPLOSION was narrowly avoided after a motorbike was set on fire next to a garage full of gas bottles.

The blaze began at 1.45pm on Sunday in Lime Grove, Paulsgrove.

A crew from Cosham fire station was sent out and they were told the garage next to where the motorbike was ablaze had LPG cylinders inside.

The fire had reached the fascias of the garage but it was quickly put out by the crew.

Crew manager John Chugg said: ‘The motorbike was totally destroyed by fire but we were unable to tell what make it was.

‘It could have been dangerous because there were LPG cylinders inside. There was also one outside but a member of the public moved it safely away before we arrived.’

The fire is thought to have been started deliberately.