Teenager locked up for knife attack on Portsmouth schoolboy

editorial image
  • Magistrates jailed a 16-year-old who lunged at a student with a kitchen knife outside Priory School, in Southsea
  • He was sentenced to four months following the ‘serious crime’
  • He had armed himself with the knife following a dispute
Have your say

A TEENAGER has been locked up after brandishing a kitchen knife and lunging at a school pupil.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to four months following the ‘serious’ incident in Portsmouth.

A kitchen knife was used which could have caused fatal injuries.

Chair magistrate John Ralphs

Fareham Youth Court heard the teenager had armed himself with a kitchen knife following a dispute with a pupil outside Priory School, in Fawcett Road, Southsea.

He pleaded guilty to one count of threatening a person with a bladed article in a public place.

Prosecutor Alicia Keen told the court that the defendant produced the knife on March 26 when he saw the victim coming out of Priory School.

She said: ‘The victim and some of his friends were heading down Manners Road when the defendant approached him.

‘He produced the knife and the victim backed off walking towards Fawcett Road.

‘The defendant then lunged toward the victim three times.

‘Fortunately the knife didn’t pierce his clothing and no injuries were suffered.’

Ms Keen added a fight then broke out and the blade of the knife came apart from the handle.

Addressing chairman of the bench John Ralphs, the defendant, who is from Portsmouth, said: ‘I’m sorry for what I did. I shouldn’t have done it.’

Bill Charlton, defending, said there was a history between the defendant and the victim.

He said: ‘Two weeks before the incident, someone tried to push the defendant into a motor vehicle. It was believed the victim was behind it.’

But Mr Ralphs said the crime was a serious one.

‘Having considered the offence and the defendant, we do not find it unjust to impose a custodial sentence,’ he said.

‘We have the serious nature of the of the act which was premeditated. A kitchen knife was used which could have caused fatal injuries.’

The defendant also pleaded guilty to one count of criminal damage after he knocked a camera out of a shop owner’s hand following the incident. They had been taking pictures of the fight.

No separate sentence was imposed for the criminal damage conviction.

*Picture from Google Maps shows the junction of Manners Road and Fawcett Road, where the attack happened