Teenager sexually assaulted while making 999 call, jury told

editorial image
Assistant Chief Constable Scott Chilton and District Commander Superintendent Maggie Blyth. Picture: Malcolm Wells

Portsmouth’s new top cop will ‘seek out’ criminals causing ‘havoc’ in communities

Have your say

A TEENAGER was ‘rugby tackled’ to the ground, sexually assaulted and robbed while making a 999 call for help, a court heard.

Alexander Bell, 48, is accused of setting upon the victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, as she called police amid fears he would attack her.

In the dramatic call, played to a jury at Winchester Crown Court, the alleged victim can be heard repeatedly shouting ‘get off me,’ and ‘help me’ before the phone cuts off.

Bell, of Barncroft Way, Havant, denies robbery and sexual assault by penetration.

The court heard Bell, also known as ‘chef’, and his alleged victim knew each other. On the night of the alleged attack she had asked Bell for a lift to see her boyfriend in Havant.

He is said to have picked her up on his motorbike and taken her to a park where they each drank two beers and shared a cannabis joint, and Bell took pictures of her, despite her telling him to stop.

Simon Foster, prosecuting, said: ‘Mr Bell’s interest in her was plainly, even at this stage of the evening, going beyond that of a mere friend. He was making suggestive comments to her, for instance “you should have my baby inside you by now”.’

The court heard that after about an hour they went for a few drinks at a pub in Havant.

They later left and Mr Foster said she again asked for a lift to her boyfriend’s home but he took her to Rowlands Castle and then the car park on Portsdown Hill.

Mr Foster said: ‘She made, just before midnight and just after midnight, a number of 999 calls to the police.

‘She was getting increasingly concerned about what this defendant wanted to do.’

She got off the bike and Mr Foster said Bell continued to pursue her as she was on the phone to the police, having dialled 999.

During the phonecall played in court, she is heard to shout ‘get off me’ and ‘help me’.

Mr Foster said: ‘In effect he rugby tackled her to the ground, and it must be when you heard “get off me”’.

The court heard Bell then left, taking with him her mobile and her handbag, and she ran to her boyfriend’s home, where the police were called again.

Police found Bell in New Road, Havant, still on his bike.

When he was arrested the mobile telephone belonging to the alleged victim was found on him.