Thirteen-year sentence for cocaine gang boss


Malicious letters detailing allegations against man being sent to homes in Portsmouth

Have your say

A MAN has been sent to jail for 13 years for his part in a cocaine gang that was responsible for supplying the drug across Hampshire.

Darryl Sims, from The Gardens, Bishop’s Waltham, pleaded guilty at Leicester Crown Court to conspiracy to supply cocaine last week.

The court heard the 30-year-old, who also goes by the name Darryl Hobbs, was the head of the operation, which distributed an estimated 28kg of cocaine.

Sims was caught by an undercover police operation – Operation Vanguard – that involved police in Cambridge and Northampton.

This operation resulted in the conviction of four men, including Sims, which has led them being jailed to a combined total of almost 38 years.

Also in charge of the operation was Daniel Taylor, 30, from McNaughten Road, Southampton, who was jailed for 12 years.

The gang included Darryl Sims’s stepfather, Mark Sims, 50, from Butts Road, Sholing, who allowed his flat to be used as well as setting up meetings with couriers and taking cash and drugs from other members. He was jailed for eight years.

Paul Hatcher, 33, from Abercrombie Garden, Southampton, acted as a courier for the gang and was jailed for four years and 10 months.

Speaking after the case, Det Chief Insp Simon Baker, from Hampshire Constabulary, hailed the case as an exemplary piece of cross-force working. He said it had also resulted in a string of successful convictions from across the three areas.

Det Chief Insp Baker said: ‘These sentences bring a lengthy and challenging investigation to a close.

‘Hampshire Constabulary is committed to trying to restrict the supply of controlled drugs into the force area and will always seek to gather evidence and intelligence around those that choose to profit from their involvement in these crimes.’

Det Chief Insp Baker said the Hampshire Major Investigation Team, with the other forces, found evidence that showed a supply chain of cocaine from a crime group in Cambridge, through another group in the Northampton area and then finally down to Southampton.

He added: ‘Hampshire Constabulary welcomes the sentences given at court and it is hoped they prove to be a deterrent to others.’