Three charged with helping suspect in Waterlooville stab murder case

SCENE The hunt for clues in Curlew Gardens, Waterlooville
SCENE The hunt for clues in Curlew Gardens, Waterlooville
Forensics officers enter a home in Toronto Road, Buckland, after Nadine Burden was found dead

Murder trial: Man speaks of terror of finding his flatmate dead

Have your say

THREE people have been charged with assisting a man who was wanted in a murder investigation.

The two men and a teenage girl are alleged to have helped Sean Bailey, who is accused of stabbing Simon Warton after a row at a party.

Bailey denies a charge of murder.

Robert Cahill, 24, of Broadmere Avenue, Havant, Marcus Mears, 41, of Partridge Gardens, Waterlooville and a 16-year-old girl from Waterlooville, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are all charged with assisting an offender.

All three are due to appear at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court next month.

A 23-year-old man from Southsea who was due to answer bail this week in connection with the same offence did not show up. He is now wanted by the police.

A 29-year-old man from Havant and a 29-year-old man from Waterlooville who were initially arrested for the same offence have been released without charge.

Bailey is accused of killing the 27-year-old, who he had known previously, after a row at Curlew Gardens, Wecock, Waterlooville.

Mr Warton was stabbed in nearby Dove Close in the early hours of April 12.

He was found injured after police were called to reports of a disturbance and taken to hospital where he later died.

Unemployed Bailey, of Robin Gardens, Wecock, Waterlooville, was arrested two days after Mr Warton’s death.

His arrest followed an appeal from detectives in The News for Bailey to hand himself in.

The 28-year-old was arrested at a flat in Southampton House, Broadmere Avenue, Leigh Park, on April 14.

Bailey appeared at Winchester Crown Court in June where he entered a not guilty plea.

A post-mortem examination found Mr Warton, a father-of-one from Orsmond Close, Waterlooville, died of a single stab wound.

Judge Guy Boney QC remanded Bailey in custody at Winchester prison to appear back in court for a trial, which is expected to last up to three weeks, later this year.

Speaking after her son’s death Mr Warton’s mother, Dawn Warton, described him as a fun-loving person with a great sense of humour.