Three teenagers travelled in stolen car at 100mph on A3

SPEEDING The car was caught travelling at 100mph on the A3
SPEEDING The car was caught travelling at 100mph on the A3

Teenager caught with 10 bags of cannabis

Have your say

THREE teenagers fled police in a stolen car at more than 100mph before the vehicle crashed and caught fire, a court heard.

Jordan Stanley, 18, made off from a petrol station in Portchester without paying for £42.16 of fuel on the night of the crash.

Winchester Crown court heard driver Stanley, accompanied by passengers Bradley Thomas, 18, and Bradley Nelson, 19, was spotted turning quickly away from police in the stolen Vauxhall Corsa in Petersfield about two hours later.

The officer pursued the car, which joined the A3 and travelled at more than 100mph, overtaking cars and carrying out dangerous manoeuvres in a bid to avoid being caught.

When the Corsa came up behind a slower vehicle it ‘broke violently.’

The car then crashed into a barrier, crossed the carriageway and hit another barrier before hitting two cars, coming to a stop and catching fire.

The police vehicle also collided with the Corsa as a result.

The three men suffered minor injuries and the officer put the blaze out with a fire extinguisher on September 8.

Thomas and Nelson also admitted stealing TVs from a flat in Havant the next day.

Addressing Stanley, Judge Susan Evans QC, sentencing, said: ‘What happened on the A3 that day could have been absolutely catastrophic and as you recognised in interview it was very dangerous indeed and a number of people could have easily been killed.’

Stanley, of no fixed abode, was jailed for a year after admitting dangerous driving, making off without payment and driving without a licence or insurance.

Nelson, of Langstone Walk, Fareham, admitted burglary and being carried in a vehicle taken without consent and was jailed for 42 weeks. Thomas, of Hilsea Crescent, Portsmouth, was given a community order, put under supervision and told to take part in a three-month drug treatment programme after admitting burglary and being carried in a vehicle taken without consent. He was told not to contact his co-defendants for a year.