Thug jailed for Gosport attack

Six people arrested in police anti-drug operation

Have your say

A THUG has been jailed after a vicious assault that has left a man needing 24-hour care.

Samuel Armstrong, 19, from Gosport, was sentenced at Portsmouth Crown Court today after admitting playing the leading role in the assault, causing grievous bodily harm with intent on Andrew Toseland and actual bodily harm on his brother Robert Toseland.

Police custody picture of Samuel Armstrong, convicted of attacking Andrew Toseland

Police custody picture of Samuel Armstrong, convicted of attacking Andrew Toseland

Fifty-year-old warehouseman Andrew Toseland was beaten unconscious and suffered life-threatening head injuries during the assault on August 25 last year outside his mum’s flat in Forton Road, Gosport, where he had been staying.

The court heard that Mr Toseland was repeatedly stamped and kicked in the head by Armstrong, causing his glasses to smash into fragments.

He was sentenced to 64 months in a young offender’s institution.

Judge Sarah Munro QC said: ‘You have deprived his family and friends of the man they love.

‘ They will have the responsibility of caring for him for the rest of his life with professional assistance.

‘ He will never be able to lead a normal life.

‘ You took that away from him - for no better reason that he asked you and your friends to be quiet.’

The court heard Armstrong speaking on a voicemail message the day after the attack.

In it he said: ‘ It was some old geezer.

‘ I left him for dead.

‘Some old man, I ****** him up didnt I?

‘ I killed that bloke’s head.’

The court heard he kicked and stamped hard on Mr Toseland’s head between 10 and 15 times, leaving him lying in a pool of blood.

Brandon Fisher, 19, of Old Road, Gosport, has already been jailed for 27 months after admitting unlawful wounding on the basis he had a subordinate role in the vicious attack.

Outside the court today, Mr Toseland’s brother-in-law Stephen Yates spoke emotionally about the shattering effects of the attack.

‘As a family we are pleased that justice has been done’ he said.