Thug who beat up women in the street avoids jail

Maxine Anthony
Maxine Anthony
Portsmouth Crown Court

Thug is spared jail for headbutting boy in Burger King

Have your say

A FEMALE thug who beat up two women in the street has avoided jail for a third time in 18 months.

Maxine Anthony had spent New Year’s Eve at home with a friend, but got into a fight when she decided she wanted to go out for cigarettes from the nearby 24-hour garage shortly after midnight.

Anthony, of Varos Close in Gosport, was walking past Madelines pub in Forton Road, when, according to her police interview, a pair of women standing on the street began mimicking her.

The 20-year-old challenged the two women, Kelly Chorley and Amy Magnus, and they argued in the street.

Anthony claimed she was part of the notorious Forton Crew gang before she lashed out at them.

She punched Miss Chorley several times in the face and kicked Miss Magnus in the head when she tried to intervene.

She pleaded guilty to two counts of assault at Fareham Magistrates’ Court.

She was given a nine-month supervision order and ordered to attend the Pathways to Change programme.

She will also have to pay each victim £65 compensation.

Anthony was previously locked up for six months in September 2009 for assault and for eight months for being drunk and disorderly in August last year.

On both occasions she served half the time in jail before being released on licence.

Bill Charlton, defending, told the court how Anthony was diagnosed with bipolar disorder during her last stint in jail.

But because of an administration error she hadn’t been able to get her prescription since being released in December last year.

Mr Charlton said: ‘When these offences happened she wasn’t on any medication at all. I’m not using this as an excuse but it was contributory factor.’

Chairman of the magistrates bench, Ian Docker, said: ‘Clearly this was a nasty incident.

‘We accept the fact that you did come out of custody a short period before and were without any medication.

‘It would appear that in the last 12 months you have spent a significant amount of time in custody.’

But the bench ultimately took the view that they needed to try a different approach to sentencing.