Two arrests after man hurt in fall from Fareham flat

SCENE The first-floor window the man fell from
SCENE The first-floor window the man fell from
Share this article
Jon Venables pictured after his arrest in 1992

Thousands back Waterlooville gran’s plea to jail James Bulger’s killer for life

Have your say

POLICE have arrested two people after a man was left with serious head injuries in a plunge from a first floor window.

Neighbours described how there was a disturbance at a property at Chequers House, above Cassino Leisure in West Street, Fareham, shortly before a 46-year-old man fell to the ground.

Police were called to the address by passers-by who reported that they could hear shouting from the first floor.

A crowd had gathered on the street below and police officers were present when the 46-year-old man fell from the window.

An ambulance arrived and took the injured man to Southampton General Hospital.

His injuries were described as serious but not life-threatening.

Police say the events that unfolded before the fall are not clear and they are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: ‘All I heard was a lot of banging. As it was Bonfire Night, I thought it was fireworks. Then I heard the glass smash and I thought there was trouble in the pub.

‘I came out of the flats and turned around and that’s when a plank of wood came flying out of the window into the road. Next thing I know, there was a body lying on the pavement. I’ve never seen anything like it. It did frighten me.’

The double-glazed window had been smashed and glass had shattered on to the pavement below.

It is thought that the injured man was a resident of the flats and had lived there for about a year.

Customers and staff at the Lord Arthur Lee, the Wetherspoons pub two doors down, spoke of their shock.

Manager Joanne Weller said: ‘There were lots of police here and they were outside all night. We don’t know what happened.’

A 19-year old woman and a 22-year old man, both from Fareham, have been arrested on suspicion of causing grevious bodily harm.

Detective Constable Kimberly Wain from Havant police station said: ‘The circumstances of this incident are not yet clear. We would like to talk to anyone who witnessed this incident and can help us to find out how the injured man came to fall from the window.’

Call Det Con Wain at Havant police station on 101.