Two weeks on, how the hunt for the hammer attacker has progressed

It's two weeks tonight since a man armed with a hammer carried out an savage assault that shocked Portsmouth.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 25th April 2016, 1:51 pm
Updated Monday, 25th April 2016, 2:54 pm
An efit of a man police want to speak to after the hammer attack on a 17-year-old girl in Shearer Road
An efit of a man police want to speak to after the hammer attack on a 17-year-old girl in Shearer Road

As police continue their hunt for the attacker, here’s our summary of how the search has developed.

April 11: A manhunt is launched after a 17-year-old girl suffers ‘life threatening’ injuries in the hammer attack. The victim is rushed to Southampton General Hospital after an ambulance crew is called to a house in Shearer Road at 7.05pm There is soon a large police presence in the area, with forensic officers beginning a detailed investigation in and around the house.

April 12: By the following morning, with the attacker still at large, Cllr Julie Swan, ward councillor for Fratton, urges people to get in touch with the police with information.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

April 13: CCTV is released, showing a man running across Shearer Road into Beecham Road past the Shearer Arms pub at 7pm on the night of the attack. Police say the victim remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

April 14: Police release an efit of a man they want to speak to in connections with the attack.

April 20: With the attacker still not traced, police offer a £5,000 reward in return for information which will lead to the prosecution of the man responsible. Hampshire Constabulary now class this case as attempted murder.

April 21: Police say the girl is in a stable condition in hospital but has suffered a ‘life changing’ head injury.

April 23: Two fresh CCTV images are released of a man police want to trace. It is revealed the suspect was wearing a grey hooded top, cap and sunglasses and had a ginger or brown beard. Police stage a reconstruction in Queen Street and Commercial Road of the movements of the suspect.