Unemployed Gosport teenager attacks 16 cars in drunken spree

CHARGE Josh Duncan at Fareham Magistrates' Court
CHARGE Josh Duncan at Fareham Magistrates' Court
Share this article
Ruby Antoine. Picture: Hertfordshire Police

Teenage girl with links to Portsmouth is missing

Have your say

A YOB who attacked 16 cars in an alcohol-fuelled spree before punching a man who tried to stop him could give no reason why he went on the rampage.

Josh Duncan, of Bucksey Road, Rowner, admitted 13 counts of criminal damage to vehicles parked in Studland Road, in Lee-on-the-Solent, and asked for a further three counts to be taken into consideration.

He had been due to stand trial for assaulting John Alderton, the man who challenged him, but on the day of his hearing at Fareham Magistrates’ Court, he changed his plea to guilty.

Prosecutor Wendy Megeney said: ‘He had been drinking during the day. He was drunk and there had been an incident earlier in the day – which he wouldn’t disclose to the police – which had caused him to become angry and made him go out on his spree.’

The court heard that in a police interview the 19-year-old claimed he had drunk three litres of cider, plus ‘beers and vodka’.

Unemployed Duncan had been stripped to the waist as he lashed out at every vehicle he passed on March 26, drawing the attention of residents and diners in a restaurant on the street, some of whom dialled 999.

A friend of Duncan’s was seen physically trying to stop the young thug, but was unsuccessful.

One of the residents, Mr Alderton, went to challenge Duncan, who punched him in the forehead, leaving him bruised.

After a brief struggle, Mr Alderton was able to hold Duncan down until police arrived.

Eight compensation forms were submitted by owners of the damaged vehicles, coming to a total of £1,869.63.

Charles Holt, defending, said: ‘He indicated something happened earlier that day that he wasn’t prepared to disclose. I’ve asked him again today why he did this, and it’s fair to say he was unable to proffer any explanation.

‘He had very little recollection of what happened.’

Chairman of the bench Dr Grant McMillan warned Duncan that they were considering all sentencing options, including jail.

He said: ‘This was a systematic series of damaging kicks. This wasn’t a one-off flying out, it was a case of one kick after the other, despite being restrained by the gentleman with you.

‘The only mitigating factor was that the assault was a single blow. Your guilty plea for that assault was very late.’

But following a report by the probation service, they opted to give him 300 hours of unpaid work. Duncan was also ordered to pay his victims a total of £500 compensation.

Four witnesses who attended court for the expected trial were released without needing to give evidence.