Vandal slashes roof at storm-hit football club

DAMAGE The original roof was blown off in a storm
DAMAGE The original roof was blown off in a storm
Scot Mackenzie

Family’s urgent plea to find missing loved one

Have your say

A CRUEL criminal has slashed the temporary roof at Gosport Borough Football Club’s building days after the original was blown off in a storm.

More than 20 people responded to club chairman Mark Hook’s rallying cry to help out after the wind and rain ripped the roof off the Inn Off the Post building at Privett Park on December 24.

But there was shock when the vandalised tarpaulin was found on Monday ahead of a New Year’s Eve party.

Mr Hook said: ‘They cut a massive cross, so all the rain that we had on Monday morning penetrated it and half the ceiling collapsed.

‘I don’t understand their thinking, their psyche, what they want to try and achieve.

‘Whether it’s somebody who’s got a grudge against the club or how the bar’s run, then the only thing they’re doing is hurting the people who are using it. I just don’t understand.’

As previously reported, the ceiling came down behind the bar, soaking the carpet and damaging the dance floor.

Volunteers had worked to get it ready for a game on December 28 and the New Year’s Eve party.

Councillors and others helped Mr Hook, who is also leader of Gosport Borough Council, on Monday and Tuesday to fix the damage done by the unknown vandal.

Mr Hook added he was thankful for repair work done by firm GS Building and for skips provided by Urbaser.

Around £2,000 has been pledged to the club after Mr Hook appealed to the community for help as although the building is insured, its contents are not.

He added: ‘We are up and running. It is a community facility.

‘They’ve just tried to ruin New Year’s Eve for people attending the event.’

Nothing was stolen from the club during the vandalism, which happened between 5pm on Sunday and 9am on Monday.

Builders and volunteers had been at the club on December 29 restoring power to the club.

It comes as Gosport’s game against Basingstoke Town was abandoned on Saturday after floodlight failure. They have now been fixed.

Call 101 if you can help police about the vandalism.