Waterlooville biker convicted of dangerous driving after hitting schoolboy on Eastern Road

  • Motorcyclist from Waterlooville convicted of dangerous driving after Eastern Road crash
Have your say

IT WAS an horrific accident that had devastating consequences for two people and their families.

Motorcyclist Matthew Bloy and cyclist James Adie were carried 55m along the Eastern Road after colliding at a toucan crossing on a summer’s afternoon.

The air ambulance at the crash on Eastern Road in July last year 'Picture: Marcin Jedrysiak

The air ambulance at the crash on Eastern Road in July last year 'Picture: Marcin Jedrysiak

Both are now out of hospital after suffering life-threatening injuries, but the physical and emotional scars remain.

Bloy, 46, appeared at Portsmouth Crown Court as he was given a suspended prison sentence for causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity to the offence.

The court heard the accident happened at the crossing just south of the Tangier Road junction on July 3 last year.

There is remarkable forgiveness on the part of the victim

Judge Roger Hetherington

James, then 15 and a paper boy from Southsea, was cycling with two friends.

His two pals were distracted and James was able to make it to the central refuge before them after crossing the northbound lane of traffic, which was waiting at the traffic lights.

Bloy was riding his Yahama motorcycle southbound.

The court was told the traffic was slowing down just before the crossing as the lights changed from amber to red.

The crash scene on the Eastern Road

The crash scene on the Eastern Road

Dawn Hyland, prosecuting, said one witness saw James glancing to his left – across into the southbound traffic – to check there was nothing coming.

She said: ‘The traffic appeared to be stationary.

‘The southbound traffic seemed to be slowing down.

‘James began to cross into the carriageway. His friend recalls cars slowing down to the left before James had left the central reservation.’

The court was told Bloy went through the lights as they were changing from amber to red. He was travelling at 50mph when the speed limit was 40mph.

‘Both the bikes and the riders were carried south for 55 metres,’ said Ms Hyland.

Hannah Duncan, defending, said it was not a ‘fair assessment’ to say that Bloy crossed the traffic lights when it was on red (for cars).

She added: ‘The one witness at the scene is sure that when she heard the collision the lights for pedestrians were still red.’

The court heard that if Bloy had been travelling slower it would have given James extra time to safely get across the road.

Judge Roger Hetherington told Bloy: ‘You drove your motorcycle through the lights even though they were amber, changing to red, accelerating as you did so at a speed of approximately 50mph which was more than the speed limit by 10mph.

‘You did not see him until it was too late. Your motorcycle went straight into him on his bike with devastating results for both of you.’

He added: ‘The principal cause of this accident...was the fact you were driving too fast and through these lights when you should not have done so.’

Bloy, of Stakes Hill Road, Waterlooville, was sentenced to two years in jail, suspended for two years.

He must do 100 hours of unpaid work and was disqualified from any driving for two years. He will have to take an extended retest.

Judge Hetherington added: ‘There is remarkable forgiveness on the part of the victim and his family towards you. You have expressed genuine and full remorse.’

Bloy, who does not remember anything about the crash due to memory loss, did not wish to speak to The News.

James’ family were not at court for the hearing, which heard the St Edmund’s Catholic School pupil had a broken leg, wrist and pelvis and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury.

He is still restricted by the injuries he suffered, the court heard. Bloy recovered from three bleeds on the brain, but lost his business and home as a result of the accident.