Widley man cut Albert Road pub bouncer’s head with glass in drunken rage

REMORSE Aaron Mitch
REMORSE Aaron Mitch
Police Car / Incident Stock Pic (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150519-172740001

Met admits undercover police officer took part in Hampshire fur farm raid

Have your say

A MAN who smashed a glass on a bouncer’s head in a drunken rage has been spared jail.

Aaron Mitch, 26, lashed out after spotting two of his friends being kicked out of the Goose at the V&A pub in Albert Road, Southsea.

He and another man walked over to the entrance, where Mitch swung at his victim with the hand holding his drink.

As a result he landed a blow on the bouncer’s left temple that caused blood to pour from his head.

Daniel Sawyer, prosecuting at Portsmouth Crown Court, said: ‘The defendant had a glass in his right hand. He was told by one of the staff “you can’t take that out” and tried to take it out of his hand.

‘Mitch turned round and was described as being verbally aggressive to the door staff.

‘[The victim] went out to go and help and Mitch hit him with the glass.

‘The defendant was described by various people as blocking the blow partially, with the result that the glass hit him on the left temple.

‘The victim, having been hit, grabbed Mitch, tackled him to the floor and restrained him. Mitch was struggling and whilst restraining Mitch [the victim] noticed that his head was throbbing.

‘He felt very hot and there was blood dripping off him onto the floor.

‘He described an immense pain and of course concern about how serious his injury was.’

Kate Fortescue, defending, said: ‘He swung out somewhat instinctively with his glass in his right hand at the bouncer, at which point he was punched in the face.

‘He was tackled to his knees, he received several blows and then he was restrained face-down on the floor.

‘During the incident he received a number of injuries and his shirt was ripped.’

The victim had five stitches to a cut on his forehead following the attack at about 8.30pm on April 29.

Mitch, of London Road, Widley, who has no previous convictions, was arrested and charged with one count of actual bodily harm, to which he pleaded guilty.

He was sentenced to eight months in jail, suspended for two years, at Portsmouth Crown Court.

Mitch was also ordered to do 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £750 compensation and £340 costs.

He must not leave home between 7pm and 6.30am on Fridays and Saturdays for six months.

Recorder Stewart Jones QC, sentencing, said: ‘You have had the good sense to plead guilty to this offence and to say at the end of your interview how sorry you were and how disappointed you were in yourself.

‘You’re dead right, you have every reason to be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.’