Woman’s body was found in freezer

A policeman stands guard outside the flat in ''Wilmcote House '' ''Picture: Malcolm Wells (132282-7181)
A policeman stands guard outside the flat in ''Wilmcote House '' ''Picture: Malcolm Wells (132282-7181)
Leon Williams was jailed at Portsmouth Crown Court

‘I’ll do life for killing you’ – Chilling words of thug who brutally attacked girlfriend

Have your say

The body of an elderly Portsmouth woman suspected to have been murdered was found in a freezer, it has been revealed.

A murder investigation is under way after the pensioner was found dead in a block of flats.

Police made the discovery at Wilmcote House in Tyseley Road, Somers Town, after calls were made concerning her welfare.

They were contacted by Portsmouth City Council, which is believed to have been worried about her as there had been no contact for some time.

Shocked neighbours said police officers with dogs turned up and forced their way in after they didn’t get an answer at the door.

There was a commotion inside before a woman’s body was brought out and taken away. The woman has been named locally as Louise Brough.

Her body was found in a freezer and police have quizzed neighbours whether they had seen a freezer unit being delivered to the flat.

A 53-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and has been bailed. He is due to report back to police in November.

Neighbour Kelly Griffin, 34, said: ‘I couldn’t believe it. I got a knock on the door from the police who said they were investigating something.

‘I used to send over a Christmas card for her. I sold her my car years ago.

‘I’ve got kids so it makes you worry and sends a shiver down your spine.

‘The police have been here 24/7 since it happened. They’ve had forensic teams in.’

Sid Simpson, 68, said his granddaughter Denise, 21, watched from the top window as the woman’s body was brought out. ‘My granddaughter saw it being taken out,’ he said.

‘There were coppers everywhere and they had dogs with them. She was a nice woman.

‘It must have been years since I last spoke to her. I first met her when I moved in 20 years ago.’

Residents said she was French and moved to the UK after the Second World War and got married.

The council, which owns the block, raised the alarm at about 8pm on Tuesday.

The circumstances surrounding the death are still being investigated and the council said all matters are now being handled by the police.

Door-to-door enquiries have been carried out and the front of the property has been sealed up.

A police officer has been outside making sure no-one goes in.

Police say initial inquiries show there is no risk to anyone else.

Formal identification procedures and a post-mortem examination have not yet taken place.