Woman was a lookout during £9,000 burglary in Gosport

A WOMAN acted as a lookout for a burglar who stole more than £9,000 of jewellery.

Friday, 17th June 2016, 6:00 am
Portsmouth Crown Court

Alison Yates was seen standing with her two chihuahua dogs in Springcroft, Gosport, while a man raided the house, prosecutor Martyn Booth said.

Police arrested the man they thought was responsible for the burglary but he was not charged due to insufficient evidence, Portsmouth Crown Court heard.

The raid was discovered when the woman living in the house returned with her children and found the patio doors open, her bedroom ransacked and £511 in cash taken along with 57 items of jewellery.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Precious sentimental items were among those taken, including presents her daughter had been given at her christening.

In a statement read by Mr Booth the victim said: ‘This offence has made me feel upset and angry.

‘I feel as though I can’t be in the house on my own.’

Mr Booth told how the homeowner rushed to see if anyone had seen anything and witnesses described seeing Yates.

He said: ‘She’s sticking out effectively, a bit like a sore thumb. She’s seen at some stage to meet up with a male, he comes from the direction of the burgled premises.’

When police went to Yates’ home they found a Gucci watch and the victim identified it as one of items stolen.

‘The crown would say she was given the watch as part and parcel of her playing a part as being a lookout for this burglary,’ Mr Booth said.

A text message found by police on Yates’ phone from the man said: ‘Nice one for this evening hun x you defo up for tomorrow?’

Daniel Reilly, defending, told the court that Yates had not known a burglary was going to take place and wanted to leave when the pair walked near the house but she was told she could not.

He said: ‘When she then said she wanted to go he simply told her “it’s too late you can’t back out”.’

He added Yates was £100 in debt to the man, who was not named in court.

Mr Reilly said Yates had been the victim of a drugs gang who targeted her and occupied her home, physically attacking.

Yates pleaded guilty to her part in the burglary committed in November 20, 2015.

Recorder Michael Norman sentenced her to a community order with 30 days of rehabilitation activities. She must pay £100 costs.