Crohn's Disease sufferer's death deemed accidental

A MAN who had suffered for many years from Crohn's Disease died after taking a lethal cocktail of drugs and alcohol.

An inquest was told Adam Hutchison, who was also prone to depression, possibly took the drugs and alcohol to cheer himself up, and overdosed by accident.

The 36-year-old, of Queen Street, Portsmouth, had suffered from Crohn’s Disease, an inflammatory bowel disease, since he was a child and regularly took heroin and methadone to help cope.

Mr Hutchison, who was divorced and unemployed, was also on a variety of anti-depressant medication and sometimes went on drinking binges.

His aunt Joanna Bell said she became worried when she had not heard from him for a few weeks in December last year.

He did not answer her calls and when she went to his flat on December 9 she saw his key was in the keyhole on the other side of the door.

Police broke the door down and found Mr Hutchison dead on the sofa. He had been dead for some time.

Ms Bell said at first she did not think it was unusual not to have heard from her nephew, saying: ‘He had bouts of depression that meant he would just hide away and wouldn’t answer the phone.’

Portsmouth Coroner David Horsley recorded a verdict of accidental death.