Cyclist killed in A3 crash due to be identified

The Hindhead tunnel was shut for hours on New Year's Day
The Hindhead tunnel was shut for hours on New Year's Day
Have your say

THE cyclist who was killed on the A3 on New Year’s Day is due to be formally identified today.

Officers have said the cyclist is a 32-year-old man from Hampshire, and his relatives have been informed.

A 33-year-old driver from Waterlooville has been arrested in connection with the death and is being questioned by officers following the fatal crash.

He was arrested on suspicion of causing death by driving without due care and attention.

Road collision investigators continue to try to unravel what happened and believe several vehicles were involved in the crash a few miles south of the Hindhead Tunnel near Liphook.

The crash happened at about 7.30am on the southbound carriageway.

The cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem was carried out yesterday to determine his injuries and this file will be passed on to the coroner,

Sergeant Darren Ord, from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Eastleigh police station, said: ‘We are appealing to motorists who were using the A3 on New Year’s Day morning at around 7.30am to come forward with any information they may have.

‘We continue to speak to witnesses to establish the exact circumstances of the collision.’

Officers need to speak to anyone in the area at the time who may have seen the moments leading up to the crash.

Forensic investigators spent almost 11 hours at the scene examining the evidence.

The A3 southbound and the Hindhead tunnel did not open until after 6pm on New Year’s Day, causing long delays for hundreds of drivers.

A 26-mile long diversion route was put in place from Guildford via the A31 to Farnham, and the A325 south to the A3 at Liss.

Anyone with information should contact the Serious Collision Investigation unit at Eastleigh police station quoting Operation Etchingham on 101.

Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.