A WOMAN left stranded in Egypt after the Russian plane disaster has told of her relief and delight at finally being back at home in Portsmouth.
Sarah Cotterill flew back from Sharm el-Sheikh on Saturday with her three children, two nephews and sister.
The 39-year-old had been left stranded at the Red Sea resort after prime minister David Cameron grounded all flights from the country following a suspected terrorist attack on a Russian airline.
Speaking to The News yesterday, Mrs Cotterill said: ‘Everyone cheered and applauded when our plane landed.
‘We’re really happy to be back. It was a bit of a nightmare out there during the last 48 hours.’
Mrs Cotterill, of Knowsley Road, Cosham, was due to fly home on Wednesday when her EasyJet flight was grounded amid heightened security fears.
She and her family were taken back to their hotel, where they waited for two days before being found a new flight home.
‘This was a stressful and worrying time,’ she added.
‘There was a complete lack of information from the British consul and EasyJet. We didn’t know what was going on or when we were going to get home.’
The UK government suspended air links after an Airbus 321 operated by Russian airline Metrojet crashed last week, killing 224 people.
Militants of the terror group Isil in the Sinai peninsula have claimed that they downed the plane.
Britain’s Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said there was a ‘high probability’ that a bomb in the hold was to blame, with defence experts from the US and UK governments backing this theory.
Mrs Cotterill described Sharm el-Sheikh airport’s security as ‘hit and miss’. ‘To be honest, it was rubbish, especially on Wednesday,’ said the market trader.
‘The security guards weren’t paying any attention to their screens. They were on their wheelie chairs talking.
‘It was quite unnerving, looking back on it.’
She added security had been tightened by the time she left the country.
Some 14,000 British tourists are still stuck at the resort.