Navy’s top brass bid a fond farewell to dedicated secretary

Lynn Agar, personal secretary to the Second Sea Lord, whose funeral has taken place at Portchester Crematorium.
Lynn Agar, personal secretary to the Second Sea Lord, whose funeral has taken place at Portchester Crematorium.
The fragment from the Union Jack believed to have flown on board HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar. Credit: Sotheby's

Flag from HMS Victory and Lord Nelson’s love letters up for sale at London auction

Have your say

SHE served the Royal Navy’s second sea Lords with dedication, professionalism, and a healthy dose of humour.

And several of the senior admirals turned out to pay their respects yesterday to personal secretary Lynn Agar, who died of cancer.

The 58-year-old, of Florentine Way in Waterlooville, lost her battle with the disease last month.

She was the personal secretary to the navy’s second sea lords, beginning with Admiral Sir Michael Boyce, and was also a petty officer in the Royal Naval Reserves.

Yesterday friends, family and those from her naval family packed Portchester Crematorium to bid farewell to the hard-working woman.

Lynn was diagnosed with bowel cancer in September last year.

She underwent a course of chemotherapy but died on March 19.

Lynn’s mother, Janet Agar, 77, of Gatcombe Park in Hilsea, said: ‘She was a wonderful daughter. She was my best friend.

‘The turnout today was fantastic and it just goes to show the impression she has left on all those who have worked with her.’

Servicemen and women lined up outside the crematorium yesterday as the funeral procession arrived.

Among the mourners were former Second Sea Lords Vice-Admiral Sir Alan Massey, Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Montgomery and the current Second Sea Lord Vice-Admiral David Steel.

Lynn’s partner, Lieutenant Commander Tony Crisp, is the head of the Waterlooville-based Maritime Training Corps unit TS Active.

He said: ‘She was a wonderful person.

‘When we got the bad news about the cancer, I felt like I’d been hit by a hammer but of course we tried to stay positive. I feel empty, but it was great to see so many people turning out to pay their respects.’

During the funeral service, Lynn’s colleagues recalled fond memories and anecdotes from their time working together.

Warrant Officer First Class Eddie Seaborne said: ‘In her own way she helped us all, either in a professional capacity or as a shoulder to lean on.

‘She had a seaman’s eye for detail which means nothing was ever missed.

‘She was unflappable, courteous, and prepared to stand her ground when necessary.

The service was led by Royal Navy chaplain Keith Robus.