EXPLOSIVE experts from the Royal Navy detonated a 500kg Second World War bomb in Portsmouth Harbour this morning.
The aging munition was discovered yesterday evening during dredging work ahead of aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth’s arrival next spring.
The discovery prompted an evacuation of punters and businesses in Gunwharf Quays, while bomb disposal experts removed the German device.
It was towed away from the harbour and into open waters, about 1.5 miles east of the Isle of Wight and destroyed at 7am this morning.
A spokesman for the Royal Navy had said the controlled explosion was likely to take place between 10am and 11am.
But he has now said that following a dive at 11.30am today, the bomb was already detonated following an earlier attempt.
He added that there had been no plume from the 7am attempt, which had led the Royal Navy bomb disposal team to believe that a second controlled explosion as necessary.
On September 10, an unexploded German torpedo was found during dredging work of the harbour.
This was also blown up by navy EOD experts out at sea.