Veterans prefer to live in Gosport and Fareham according to study

A Merlin helicopter from Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose has been training with HMS Queen Elizabeth in Portsmouth Naval Base as part of her Rotary Wing Trials

Helicopter puts flight deck crew through its paces

Have your say

GOSPORT and Fareham have the highest ratio of veterans in the country, figures have shown.

The Local Government Association (LGA) has put together a map revealing where ex-servicemen and women are living in the country.

Gosport tops the table with 68 veterans per 1,000 people and Fareham comes second with 47.

But the new data only accounts for around 10 per cent of the total number of veterans in the country, with no public information known about the other 90 per cent.

The LGA has warned millions of veterans could be missing out on support from councils because of this lack of information.

Cllr David Rogers, the chairman of the LGA’s community wellbeing board, said: ‘The armed forces are an integral part of who we are as a nation and an inspiration to us all.

‘This new map is a positive step in helping councils ensure that veterans suffer no disadvantage as a result of their service to our country.

‘Council efforts to offer support to our armed forces community will continue to be hampered unless we have more accurate information on where they live.

‘We of course recognise the need for privacy and data protection laws, but we want to work with the government and other bodies to find a way to share data that will benefit our brave service men and women.’